Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Are we there yet?

Well, I am still grateful for speed humps...and I am still going over one. I feel that I am near the top of my hump. I am by no means over it yet, but I think I have reached a point high enough to catch a glimpse of when the hump ends. Allow me to explain by going back a few days.

This past weekend was the General Conference for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. During this two day conference, we hear the words of the Prophet of our church, and other church leaders. If you prepare yourself for when conference comes, it can be a great opportunity for enlightenment and personal revelation. I try to prepare myself for this conference more so than I have for the last two or three conferences. As a result, I received what was for me, personal revelation and enlightenment.

For those who may not know, I am an entrepreneur at heart. It is one of my passions to start and run a business. I get new business ideas all of the time. The reason why I am not currently the owner of a business is because of two problems that I run into. My first problem is deciding which of my many ideas I should focus on and run with. The second and even bigger problem is the actual "running" with it part.

Well, one of the answers I received during conference was "run with it". I have one idea in particular that I am passionate about and I felt the strong impression that it was time that I stopped thinking and talking about it and actually started taking steps and putting it into action. I know that I can do it...but the truth of the matter is that I am scared. I have never done this before. Also, I have taken risk before, but that was before I had a wife and children who depend on me.

So, what steps have I taken? Well, my business is an online business focused around a website. I have begun drawing the website on paper and outlining the functions. I have researched different web hosting sites and have taken classes on computer programming and web design. I have even begun speaking with a business counselor at the Ben Craig Center here in Charlotte.

I am trying to make strides but am coming to a stop. No matter which way I turn, it seems like I cannot get around that big ugly beast called "capital". I don't have much money to invest into a business, which is why I am going with an online business since it would need less capital than brick-and-mortar. I am trying to come up with "small" businesses to start up first so as to gain capital in the form of personal profit from the smaller businesses. However, my business consultant just advised me that the start up capital I would need for one of my smaller business ideas would be somewhere over $50,000!!! That's right, this was for a "smaller" business idea. Hello kryptonite.

On top of all else, I am having to do this while working and going to school both full time. I may be super awesome, but I am also super tired. I feel drained most every day. What am I to do?

Well, the first thing I am doing is answer #2 from General Conference - 1 Hour of Scripture Study. If you're thinking what I thought, you are saying "Great...more stuff to do!" I am fighting for any free time I can get just to relax and do nothing. However, I felt that this was very important. Not only is scripture studying good for general purposes, I think that Heavenly Father will recognize that this is a big sacrifice that I am making in an effort to know and do his will. I have no doubts that I will be blessed for that.

The second thing that I am doing is just going through the motions for starting my business. It's like running long distances. After a while, you get so tired that you have to consciously make the effort to move the right foot forward, now the left, now the right, now the left.... Whereas it may have started as something of second nature, now it is just raw effort.

So that is where I am right now, somewhere towards the top of the hump. I know that I am making my way to the end because I am forcing myself. I don't know if I am taking all of the right steps or if I am even going in a straightforward direction. The point is though, that I am going. I just can't wait to be there yet.

2 comments:

Sarah Ragatz said...

How frequently have you been checking your blog to see if I left you a comment yet? I love you. You sure are my superman. I know work is a battle and I am here to fight it with you. Since money is your kryptonite, just remove yourself from all money and give it to your wife. :)

Laura D said...

Sarah has great advice and if you get tired of giving her money you can give it to me! But honestly I don't know anyone who I believe in more! You can defiantly do it!